What The Inca Empire Has Left For Its Descendants…
This teenage girl you see on the photo was about 14-15 years old, when she was sacrificed. This happened about 500 years ago! The girl was in the glaciers during the last centuries, that`s why her body was in safety all his time. The scientists also found two more bodies of children, which were situated next to the girl. The boy was 7 and the girl was only 6 years old.
1. The scientists decided to study proteins in the tissue instead of the traditional DNA analysis. And they found out that an apparently healthy girl had had a bacterial lung infection resembling tuberculosis. It was the first time, when an infection was detected in a mummy…
2. A group of researchers from the City University of New York led by Angelique Corthals studied the samples of the body. The scientists have already called the girl “a maiden”.
3. This unique mummy was discovered in 1999 at the foot of Llullaillaco, a stratovolcano. The volcano is situated at the border of Argentina and Chile and has a height of 6739 metres above the sea level.
4. These three mummies, that were found by the scientists, had been frozen unlike Egyptian mummies, which had been embalmed. The 7-year-old boy`s body was also carefully examined. However the researches still hesitate over whether to study the 6-year-old girl`s body or not. Probably once it was struck by lightning, which can affect the accuracy of the results.
5. It`s more than likely, that the three children had been sacrificed, as such artefacts were found near their mummies: gold, silver, clothes, bowls with food and even an extravagant headdress made of white feathers of unknown birds.
6. Historians suggested, that these children had been chosen by the Inca because of their beauty and also because children have been always considered purer beings than adults. By the way, the Inca used to sacrifice children not so often.
7. The scientific research showed that before these three children were sacrificed, they had been fed with “elite” products throughout the year. The kids ate maize and dried llama meat, though before this they had been eating only ordinary peasant food consisting of potatoes and vegetables.